Shutterbug Jess
{a photography blog}
Shutter1

Welcome

jess b_wHello! As some of you know, my husband and I are moving to Italy in September (woohoo!!!). You can now find me posting over at Jessica Lynn Writes, please follow me there!

Friday, October 22, 2010

Fix-it Friday #75

This was a fun picture, but also extremely hard for me, because I'm still so new at this and there was a lot I wanted to do, but couldn't. A few things that drove me crazy: it looks like the little boy is missing his right hand, his eyes are closed, and he's not really in focus. 

I'm almost positive there's a way to add a hand (I tried cloning his other hand, but I have no idea if there's a way to rotate the cloned part). And I still have no idea how to add on layers, so adding eyes are kind of out of the question. 

I did a few edits, but I don't know if I'm happy with any of them. 


Here's the original:

Edit 1:
The original photo needed to come to life a little bit more. I ran PW's boost action and then lowered it and added in some warmer red and green tones to make it look a little more like fall.


Edit 2: 
My husband suggested a landscape crop and I really like it this way. I don't remember what actions and levels I played with, but my goal was to make it look a little more whimsical and soft.

Edit 3:  
This is the one I'm not so sure about. I had an idea in my mind, but I just couldn't get it there. I wanted an extremely soft, almost dreamlike photo. I desaturated it and then added some color back in. I also sharpened it. On my Smugmug screen (and PSE and my computer screen) this photo has a little more warmth to it with a touch of gold and red.
I've been trying to back off from using actions so I can learn how to edit manually, rather than falling back on clicking a sweet action. Are there any books or great tutorials online you recommend to learn more tricks of this trade? 

5 thoughts:

Nobodys Nothings said...

oooh, i love your cropping on the 2nd and 3rd photos! the color in your first fix is gorgeous. beautiful fixes!

FYH said...

Great edits...no.1 is my favorite.

Kathy Glynn said...

Love edit number 2! The cropping is excellent and I like the feel too! I am interested in learning more about manual edits as well. If you get any info, please let me know! Have a wonderful weekend!

Rebecca said...

great edits! I really love the pop of color in #1!

Serline said...

Three different edits, three different moods you created for the same picture... love them all ;-)

Post a Comment

Thanks for the love!