Shutterbug Jess
{a photography blog}
Shutter1

Welcome

jess b_wHello! As some of you know, my husband and I are moving to Italy in September (woohoo!!!). You can now find me posting over at Jessica Lynn Writes, please follow me there!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Armendinger Homecoming

I've experienced two deployments in the five years of knowing my husband. I know the loneliness and emptiness that comes with missing your better half, and the longing you have each day to see them again.

Despite knowing what another spouse goes through during a deployment, I've only gone through them on my own...without kids. My good friend, Brooke, on the other hand, has a three-year-old daughter and a brand new baby boy. Her son was five months old when his dad deployed. My hat goes off to her and all the other moms (and dads) I know who take care of business while dad (and mom!) is deployed.

I hung out with Brooke the night her husband left, and her daughter kept asking where Daddy was and when he'd be back. It absolutely broke my heart; I can only imagine how difficult it must be to have children who can't quite comprehend what's going on, but miss their parent so much.

When Brooke asked if I would join her at their homecoming I was thrilled and honored. Brooke is a wonderful photographer and since I'm clearly just learning, I was excited to gain some practice. I have a long way to go before I'm more comfortable behind the camera, but I'm happy the shots below and hope I caught the emotions from the homecoming. Congratulations, Armendinger Family :)


How adorable is her dress?

Ainsley would not stop moving around! This was the best I could get of her out of about six different shots!


Brooke is pointing to the plane circling around!

She's impatient and misses her father. Don't mess with her :)



With the plane on its way in, Brooke quickly went through a wide array of emotions:


And then, things got real.

Even the kids were feeling the anticipation in the air



Very shortly after landing, they started getting off the plane. Brooke found her man the second he stepped through the door.




Remember, the last time their son saw their dad he was five months old. At just seven months, he absolutely knew his dad was back.




The photo above is one of my favorites from the entire evening. I love the sleepy look he has, her overjoyed laugh, and how the kids are eager to get down.


Congratulations, Brooke and family :)

7 thoughts:

Hannah said...

Not only are these absolutely stunning photos of a beautiful family but they seem to be taken by someone who loves and care for them deeply. I very rarely cry when I see photos like this but the honesty in their emotions are so beautiful that I might have left a few tear drops in my eyes.

EmilyB said...

Wow. Powerful stuff. Great work.

Your Mom said...

Great pictures Jess! You know I cried looking at them!

Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous photos ... I love the emotion you captured in the photos! They give me goosebumps!

KSCoffeeGirl said...

These are great! You did a great job capturing the emotion.

KAE said...

You did an AWESOME job! Makes we want to get out and fire up my camera :) And to get someone to do photos after hubby goes (and comes back) on his next deployment!

Kathryn said...

LOVe LOVE LOVE these photos! Some of the best homecoming I have ever seen. Seriously!

Post a Comment

Thanks for the love!